Monday, March 1, 2010

What's In My Crochet Bag - Obsession Edition

I have to admit, I have an obsession. With wristlets. I don't know why. I don't have any. I collect patterns for them like I collect bad habits.

Here's the thing. I like the idea of wristlets. They're kinda rock and roll, in a funky old lady sort of way. Also, I hate gloves. I hate not being able to move my hands.

So, I collect the patterns, but I kinda can't see myself wearing them, so I just collect the patterns. You know how that is. Right? Right? Oh, well, whatever.

So, Jenn mentioned one time how it was cold sometimes in her office and she couldn't type in gloves and I thought "Preach it sister." Cause I've been there. And then I though, wow, I have a whole section of my pattern notebook dedicated to the solution of this problem.

I picked this pattern because along with my wristlet obsession, I am obsessed with cables.

So, I would love to post a link to it, but I've lost it. So instead, I will just point out some stuff about them that I like and don't like.

Like: this was an awesome cable pattern. For those who don't know, cabling isn't easy in crochet. It's kinda a knit thing and crochet cables usually look crappy. This is probably the best one I've ever done. I will totally use it again, adapt it, whatever it.

Like: I like the shape. They pinch in nicely at wrists and the thumb hole is perfect, and lets the top of the glove ride a little higher.

Like: Perfect for self striping yarn (I used Bernat Baby Jacquards in "I'm a Big Boy." (Sorry about the color name, but I love the softness of the yarn and I'm just not down with too much pink in my life.) The stripes came out soooo nicely.

Dislike: See the pulling around the cables. This is because there was no sizing. I hope Jenn's hands are smaller than mine.

Dislike: It was worked in the round, but in such a way that left a seam right up the middle of the palm. I would have liked it to be seamless.

Dislike - My creepy, vampiric pale hand in that picture.

I had a whole lot of yarn left over. So, I figured I'd take advantage of my fabulous new cabling technique and knock out a scarf. I really like it better than the wristlets. I made it skinny and long because I wanted it to not be too warm. Hopefully, she can wear it with her wristlets in her office and not be hot.

So, that's it for the ones that have been mailed and now I am really in trouble. I'll have to finish Suze's tomorrow and deliver Tina's this weekend. I'd do it tonight, but Maren has croup and I didn't sleep at all last night and I am about to drop. I hate croup.

By the way, I'm working on the learning to knit thing. And I have a question for my knitters.
Why is my first and last stitch on every row always tighter than the rest. I'm not trying to make them tight, but they are almost so tight I can't get the needle in.

I'm sure I'll have more, but this is what's bothering me right now. I've done the tutorials on knitting, purling and casting on (not in that order :) and I am getting ready to do some of the "stitch" tutorials this weekend (stockinette, ribbing, etc.) and then I'm going to do the casting off tutorial and try my first pattern. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

SleeplessInKL said...

aha! so you're finally jumping into the knitting bandwagon. i hope someone who's an expert on knitting answers your Q. i'm a tight knitter myself :P

Cathy G. said...

"....(Sorry about the color name, but I love the softness of the yarn and I'm just not down with too much pink in my life.)"

So, have you looked at your oldest child's room? Could she love pink any more? Serves you right for living in such a 'pink' vacuum all those years! LOL!!!

Unknown said...

Jess those wristlets are so cool! I love them!

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

I lurve lurve LURVE my wristlets and scarf set! They were the perfect thing to keep my hands warm yet still allowing me to type. Thank you soooooo much!

I've already put them away for the season (spring is here and the trees are budding, flowers are blooming, yo), but I've made sure to put them where I can find them easily when the weather turns cold again. Again, I can't thank you enough!

Jessi said...

I'm so glad you were able to use them, Jenn. I hope they didn't pull on your hands like they did on mine. I have huge, stubby hands like my grandpa. I seem to remember you having very pretty ladylike hands.