Friday, May 28, 2010

Five things on Friday - Stressed Out Edition

Five Things on Friday will be a weekly list of five things. Subject to be determined by me, but feel free to make suggestions in the comments. I will list my five things and then open the comments up to you, my loyal followers, readers, fans, groupies, what have you. Please respond. Or else, I'll feel all alone in the Earth. It'll be bad. Really.
In response to my illness this week, caused, I am sure, by all my stress, I thought I would dedicate this week's Five Things to Stressors. So, below, find five things that stress me out to no end. Then, please respond in kind, with the things that stress you out. If, you wish to post a response post instead of a comment, like Suze did last week, let me know and I'll post up a link.

And, without further ado...

Five Things that Stress Me Out

1. Water on the bathroom floor - Where did it come from? What has it ruined? Why didn't anyone clean this up? Our bathmat has been in the laundry queue for quite some time now (I don't deem it a very high priority) but I assume that when people other than me get out of the shower, said people will take their towel and clean up the drippies. I am grievously mistaken.

2. Not being at home - This week, I have arrived at home for the evening before 9 precisely once. And that was when I was sick. Tonight, alas, may be no different. And I ask you, who can get laundry done when they are never home? Not me, that's who.

3. Being home too much - However, I must admit that I easily become stir crazy. Right now, I could spend an entire day at home peacefully and happily because I miss home. But just one. And under normal circumstances, I MUST leave the house once a day, at least. When I was on maternity leave, I had a week when I couldn't drive and didn't even get to run Brynna to school. Torture. Horror. Abject dismay. The Husband ran me to the gas station one night just so I could be OUT. I honestly get crazy. And I don't even care where I go. Shopping, work, library, mom's house, cemetery, random driving, whatever. Just need out.

4. Hair pulling - I am mostly laid back about my kids' phases. Like werewolves, I know that they will only be evil for a short time and then they will resolve themselves, only to find something else to be evil about shortly. It's the way of the world. The intention of creation. I get it. When Brynna went through a biting phase, I punished, I cajoled, I chatted, but I didn't really freak. When Maren wouldn't say Mommy (oh, wait, is that still going on, nevermind)... But, right now, Maren is pulling hair. And if there is one thing I cannot stand, it's hair pulling. I would rather break a bone than have my hair pulled (and yes, I understand how insane that is, is that really the most constructive thing you can say). It's something about that bright white scalp pain and the immediate appearance of tears and the feeling that I just stepped into a high school girls' cat fight. No tolerance. None.

5. Waste - I don't know what it is? An over developed guilt reflex? Being partially raised by people who survived the Great Depression? Always being broke? I have no idea. But I literally lose sleep over waste. Whether it's coming home and finding that the refrigerator door has sat slightly open all day or nagging while nothing is done about the dripping bathroom faucet, I just can't stand it. The Husband sometimes tells me he's going to clean off the table after dinner and then I get up the next morning and go into the kitchen, and there it all sits. Perfectly good leftovers, left out over night and now ruined. Drives. me. nuts. And then I worry and I stress, because what if all the food in the fridge ruins or how high will the water bill get or what if I am a night short in meal planning and we NEED those leftovers. It's ridiculous really. Normal people clean up the mess and move on. Not me. I'm a stresser and I stress. It's what I do.

So, now it's your turn. What drives you around the bend and keeps you up at night? Please share. My self worth is frighteningly dependent on it.

ETA: This week's Five Things Responses
Jenn-Jenn the Mother Hen
Suze at Madtown Mama

5 comments:

Cathy G. said...

My stressors:
1. People (my mother) telling me the same things I need to do five times in 2 hours. And - telling me at 10 pm to pay a bill for her and then waiting on my porch at 8 am to see if I paid it yet.

2. Men who won't pump my gas. I have 2 in my house who have no problems leaving my car with an empty gas tank.

3. Emergency sirens going by when I don't know where they're going and where all my family is at that moment.

4. Coming home to find a living room full of dirty dishes. (Come on son, the kitchen is only a few steps away!)

5. People who send me text forwards. That's what email is for! Don't send me junk texts!!!!

Suze said...

done and done :)

KYmomx3 said...

Stressers
1. My house being dirty. Which is a daily thing. I can clean it, turn around and see the kids destroy it again so I constantly stress over this
2. What my husband sees in me. I wear my emotions on my sleeve, he does not therefore I never know what he is thinking and it stresses me out!
3. Arguing with Kai. He is much like me therefore we are both right all of the time, so we fight and it stresses me out.
4. Dirty Dishes in the sink when the dishwasher has room!!! PUT IT IN THE DISHWASHER FOR CRYING IN THE MUD!
5. People saying Physical Court...IT'S THE FISCAL COURT! That comes from Steve..but he's right, it's a stresser

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Done and done :-)

Amy said...

Here are my 5:

1. Mispronunciation of words like physical year instead of fiscal year and chimley instead of chimney. Just to name a few I've heard recently.
2. Misspelled words and the incorrect usage of the words they're, their, and there. It drives me nuts and yes I judge people very harshly when I see these especially on giant billboard signs.
3. Jesus freaks (the really freaky ones) who want to tell me all about their religious beliefs. This possibly comes from the fact that I work at a "Christian" (which is all inclusive not secular) organization but these freaks don't understand that my view of Christianity are not necessarily their view.
4. My husband dressing my daughter and sending her to school looking like little orphan Annie. He doesn't understand that when everyone at school sees her they say "Oh look how cute Mr. Doe dressed Jane this morning." While the next sentence is "Oh my God I can't believe Mrs. Doe let Jane out of the house looking like that."
5. My laundry as in my own personal clothes. My husband does a great job of helping with laundry and he can wash his own clothes and my daughters stuff all day long. But, I don't like for anyone else to wash my clothes or mix their clothes in with my loads of wash especially my underwear and bras. Yes it's freaky and weird but I can't help it.

These are just a few of the things that stress me to no end.