Friday, July 9, 2010

Five Things on Friday - Rainy Day Edition

"It's raining, it's pouring, the roads are slippery and the car is slickery. Don't worry, Mama, it'll be okay..." This was the song Brynna was singing as I was inexplicably fishtailing my way down US25 this morning. Very unpleasant traveling.

Which got me to be thinking about all the things I'd rather be doing on a nice, cool, rainy day like today than fishtailing down US25.

So, here it is, Five Things I Love to Do on Rainy Days:

1. Good Book + Blanket + Window + Comfy Chair = Very happy Jessi. There is almost nothing better than sitting somewhere where you can hear the rain and reading. I have this lovely overstuffed armchair in my living room right by the window onto my deck. You can hear the rain particularly well there and I curl up with a couch blanket and read, read, read. You absolutely can't beat it.

2. Good movies and crochet. I can't stand to sit with my hands still for very long. My mom sometimes has to remind me of this fact, but I know it to be true. I love to watch a little movie marathon (or TV marathon, if it's good stuff) but it's better if I've got a project going. Preferably something soft with bright colors.

3. Shopping. I know that's strange, but from my years working in outlet mall retail, I learned one very important fact: there is no place on earth better for rain listening than one of those big, flat roofed, shopping Meccas. Especially thunderstorms. Yay.

4. Sit on the porch. Not on my porch. My porch is very small and it's almost impossible to not stand in the rain. And my deck is uncovered. But like my grandma's porch or my mom's porch - excellent. I love to watch the rain fall, listen to the rain fall and feel the mist off the rain falling. Even better is when a storm is rolling in and you can watch it race across the sky.

5. Sleep. Despite how much I love the rain and I love to enjoy the rain, it always makes me sleepy. And I never sleep as well on clear night as I do on rainy nights. The same is true for both of my kids. I'm not sure if it's genetics or luck or leading by example, but I was blessed with two midgets who can sleep through even the worst thunderstorm. Brynna woke up once in a thunderstorm, but it was only 9:00, so she'd only been asleep for a few minutes. Yes, we are storm sleepers. And I'd like a little rain nap right now.

So, what about you? What do you like to do in the rain? Or alternately, what would you rather be doing to enjoy whatever weather you're having today? Join in. It's fun, I promise.

4 comments:

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

It's raining down here, too. When the weather's all gloomy, I'd much rather be doing something similar to what you mentioned as #1 on your list - sitting in a comfy chair (or propped up in bed), with a fuzzy soft blanket, a book in one hand and a cup of coffee or tea in the other. No TV, maybe some soft classical music in the background (down soft enough that I can still hear the rain), just me and my book.

I'm not going to say any more, though, because I may just have to steal this "Friday Five" for myself for next week's post!

Suze said...

Once, several years ago, we sat on the front porch of friends of ours who were living in very rural Kansas. We saw a big storm coming from a few miles away. The clouds were dark there, but it was sunny where we were. Eventually, the storm passed over us, loud, thundering, flashing lightning, and then it cleared up where we were and moved on as we watched. Nothing like a good prairie storm.

Jessi said...

Jenn - I look forward to reading it.

Suze - I always felt a little agoraphobic about the Kansas sky, unless there was a storm. The storms were awesome! I truly miss that.

Jessi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.