Thursday, September 23, 2010

Identifying Ring Tones May be the Death of Me

Raise your hand if you have different ring tones for different people.

Okay, I know, adults are kind of "over" having musical ring tones anyway. I, I am not an adult. I am a 17 year old grunge addict who has mysteriously become trapped in an adult body behind the wheel of a minivan. Suck it.
I like my music tones, is what I'm getting at. I don't have Kid Rock or Nirvana screaming from my phone, because you never know when your phone will ring in church, but I will totally defend my Tom Petty or They Might be Giants to anyone who cares to tangle. Don't knock TMBG, now. I'll cut you.

And, I like to have tones for certain people. That way, I: a. know how fast to run to the phone and b. can mentally prepare myself. 

My mom is "I'll Stand by You," because she will. In a way that no one else will, and yeah, I know, it's a love song, so what? It's my phone and it'll sing what it wants.

The Husband is "Into the Mystic," which I think isn't a love song, not really, but it's our song anyway.

My boss, both at work and at her cell is "I Don't like Mondays," because you know, I don't like Mondays. And work starts on Monday and yeah, some days I want to shoo-oo-oot the whole day down.

Personally, I think you can make a person's ring tone whatever you want, because pretty much, they'll probably never hear it. How many times does your crazy aunt call you from five feet away? Exactly. Her ringtone can be "Crazy Mary," or "The Barney Theme Song," or "Paint it Black" and she'll never know.

Or you know, your boss. Who is checking to make sure the call forwarding is working? And happens to have lived through that particular piece of history? And finds it hard to understand why you've chosen a song about mass murder as her personal ringtone? 

I think I've successfully convinced her that my particular brand of crazy is more or less harmless. I hope. I am going to keep my eyes open for butterfly nets and straight jackets in the next few weeks, though.




1 comment:

Strangeite said...

I have fallen in love with the idea (stolen from Pete on Warehouse 13) of having "C is for Cookie" as my ringtone.