Friday, February 14, 2014

Five Things on Friday: Valentine Edition

This morning in the car, Brynna looked at me and said, "I'm going to make you a Valentine tonight, because you're not going to get another one, are you?"

I smiled and said, "I've got two Valentines right here."

"Me and Maren?"

"You and Maren. The bestest Valentines ever."

I used to hate Valentine's Day. I don't really have the energy for that anymore. Valentine's is just a day, you know. It's just a day where card companies, chocolate companies and Zales make a mint. That's all.

So, in honor of the day of love, I present:

Five Things I Love About Being a Single Mom on Valentine's Day


1. The Kids - Kids love Valentine's Day because they don't get romance. They love Valentines, they love Valentine boxes, they love Valentine parties, they love hearts and flowers and candy. They really love candy. This morning, my Valentines loved big heart necklaces and strawberry rolls. Tonight they're going to love pizza and Valentine punch. And I love their unfettered excitement.

2. The Lack of Pressure - You know, some people are just good at romance. I am not one of them. My idea of a romantic night involves hot cocoa and pajama pants. Also, I will never remember to text you and tell you Happy Valentine's Day. I'm working here. Didn't I say it this morning? No, I meant to. My point is that every Valentine's Day of my married life was a struggle to not infuriate the Ex with my total and complete lack of recognition that today is a day that people do stuff on.

3. The Lack of High Heels - But even so, there was usually a date. Maybe not on Valentine's Day. In fact, I'm crowd phobic, so it was almost never on the actual day. And I'd get dressed up, because of the pressure and by the end of the night, I'd be limping through Wal-Mart trying to find $1 flip flops because my feet were bleeding. Every freaking year.

4. The Lack of Disappointment - When you're not expecting anything, everything is lovely. My boss bringing me a little box of chocolates. Awesome! The mail man wishing me a Happy V-Day. So sweet! Carry out pizza. Perfect! When you are expecting something, it may or may not live up to your expectations. I don't have to worry about that. Go ahead, envy me.

5. My House - As I mentioned, I'm crowd phobic, so we're going to get carryout, we're going to go home and we're going to watch The Princess Bride. That's it. We're probably going to do it in our pajamas. We're going to have fuzzy blankets and the snow is going to fall outside. It's going to be perfect. Me with the only two people who really matter on Valentine's Day.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm 100% with you on the crowd phobia. I avoid it at all cost, and I love me some comfy pants. I'm so grateful that Nick is the same way. We might go get a bottle of wine and watch reruns of The Office on Netflix.

Wish we lived closer and we could all have a movie night! :)